The Voyage of Captain Obvious

Grading is satanic

Saturday, June 24, 2006

I have been very lax with the blogging

But most of the reason has been that I have spent the majority of the past month in Sicily:









A view of the Mediterreanean from Érice, Sicily

My advisor took it in his heart to fund a few of his graduate students to go to Europe to participate in a summer school which he partially organized. I flew into Italy via London, and due to the large distance between Heathrow International and London Stansted, I decided to take 3 or so days in London, be a tourist, and make sure that I made my connexion. Good thing that I did so, as well, as "London" Stansted is hardly built on top of Big Ben or anything.

Anyway, I got the chance to spend a couple of weeks abroad, and to feel the experience of being a foreigner who has, at best, a mediocre grip of the local langauge. I know, I know, hardly a novel experience, but still, an interesting one for this particular priviliged white boy.

So, anyway, I spent about half of my time in Érice at this summer school, which, aside from a day trip to Salierno and Segesta, two ruined ancient Greek cities, we didn't get all that much opportunity to play tourist, as we were pretty much constantly at seminars, which typically ran from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm. We managed to get by on making light of some of the situation, and by realizing where we were, rather than being back in goddamn Texas, with it's 100+ degree days. I spent the rest of my time touristing around Sicily. I got a chance to go up most of Mt. Etna, Europe's largest active volcano:




There was more that I saw, and a LOT more pictures, but I seem to be stalling with this recap, so I think I'll leave it at this for now. More to come

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home